SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday, November 24, 2017

Festive Handmade Holiday Garlands (DIY)

Christmas season is finally here! Growing up I always loved to help my mom unpack boxes of decorations as we would go around like elves hanging ornaments and arranging candles throughout the home, while Christmas music played in the background and we sipped cold egg nog.




I have slowly started to put together a collection of decorations of my own, now that Ian and I have a home of our own. I want to build a collection of things that are charming, and meaningfully placed together. I came across several garlands while poking around for inspiration that I adored, and decided to try to make them by hand. Garlands are one of my favorite decorations because they are so versatile to use. They can be intertwined with candles on a mantle, hung over a doorway, or used as part of a tablescape when hosting a dinner party. 

These two garlands are easy to make, and are particularly kid friendly, so you don't have to worry about leaving them within reach of tiny hands.

SNOWY PINE CONE GARLAND


First up is this earthy, yet delicate, snowy pine cone garland. In order to make this you will need:

- 15 - 20 pinecones (depending on the length of your garland)

- ribbon of your choice

- epsom salts

- mod podge 

- hot glue gun

We have a large pine tree in our backyard, so I was able to collect quite a few pine cones from our bakckyard. I also picked a few up during trips to the park with Logan or various walks, so they should be easy to forage for, but you can also get some from a craft store in a pinch. I preferred the look of smaller pine cones, about 4 inches tall.


Once you have collected your pine cones, paint the edges with the mod podge. I found it laid nicely on the pine cone when I used downward strokes while holding the pine cone with the bottom to the ceiling (so basically, upside down.) Once they are painted, dip them in a bowl of epsom salts and give them a quick shake to get rid of any salt not stuck on properly. Set them on a parchment lined baking sheet to dry. 

After they dried, I cut segments of ribbon, about 5 inches long. You will need one segment per pine cone. Place a dab of hot glue on the top of the pine cone and gently press the middle of the ribbon into your dollop of glue. Allow the glue to dry completely. Cut a 6' segment of ribbon from your spool. I opted to tie loops on the end of mine to make it easy to hang, but you can skip this step. They are easy to remove in a pinch, also.


Tie each pine cone to your longer piece of ribbon, and arrange them how you  would like. That's it! If you have extra pine cones, you can use them as ornaments or as a simple gift topper for a brown package.

WOOL FELT BALL GARLAND


These simple and sweet wool felt ball garlands have become quite popular recently, and I love how much life they can add to a room, while not being overwhelming. There are limitless options for these, depending on which colors you choose. Not only are they a sweet touch for Christmas, but you could use pinks and cream to create a Valentine's day garland, or a whole bunch of bright colors for a festive birthday decoration. This was SO simple to make, and saved me quite a bit of money! To make these, you will need:

- 150 felted wool balls (available at craft stores or in bulk on Etsy!) 

- one 5" or longer, heavy duty needle

- cotton twine

First, decide what pattern you want to have your colors be. There are two types of garlands I have seen, one where the balls are strung tightly together, and the other that has some space of twine between each. 150 wool balls will make you a 6' spaced garland and a 3' tightly strung garland. 


After you have decided what look you want for your garland, simply thread the needle with twine, and punch the needle through the center of each ball to add it to the garland. I cut my twine much longer than needed, and again added some loops on the end to make hanging simple. Make sure to tie a knot at each end so that the balls will stay put. One you have strung the amount of balls you want for your garland, you're done! 

I really don't think this one could be easier, and would be a fun craft to do with kids and let them use them around their room!

Merry Christmas & Holiday Season, loves! 

xo, B



Post a Comment