SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, April 17, 2017

Baby Wellness & At Home Medical Kit

Parenting, like the boy scouts, should adopt the slogan "Always be prepared." You never know what random thing life with a babe will throw at you, and sometimes it can be hard to cast a wide enough net to encompass every "what if."  As a pregnant first time mom I started researching health and wellness products for baby that would be useful to have on hand. both for daily occurrences and those emergency situations. I spent lots of time reading reviews, studying ingredients, and talking to friends and from there assembled a stash of useful products. Throughout the first year I have added a few things, but overall it was such a blessing to have these basics packed away and ready to go when baby came, rather than having to run out to the store for them or wait two days for Amazon Prime shipping (which, buy the way, seems to take AGES when you are buying anything you "need" for your baby).  

I wanted to share my stash favorites with any mamas to be out there who may find this helpful! I have broken them down into three categories, just to make it simple. 

1. Sick Baby Essentials Kit

Every parent dreads it: baby's first sickness. We recently went through Logan's first cold. Thankfully he handled it like a champ, and was mostly his same happy self (plus a tiny snotty nose), I was thankful to have had these items to make life easier for us both.


1. NoseFrida : This nasal aspirator is a lifesaver for keeping little plugged noses clear. I love that it is easy to use and easy to clean!
2. Thermometer: I use the one linked here, because rectal is the most accurate way to take and monitor a baby's temperature. It's been easy to use and Logan doesn't seem to mind, so that makes it even easier.
3. Boogie Wipes: When I was pregnant, a friend raved about these little saline wipes as " the best thing ever." I bought a pack to have on hand just in case, and they have been so helpful to have on hand. They are kind of like baby wipes, but a bit thinner, but they are moisturized with saline and aloe, which allows you to wipe baby's nose without having their gentle skin dry out. Pictured above is the scented kind, but I prefer unscented.
4. Zarbees Natural Cough Syrup: This cough syrup is free from honey, and can be used in babies two months or older. It has Ivy Leaf Extract, and I noticed a huge difference in Logan's coughing after giving him this. It helped him sleep really sound, and his cough didn't linger either which was a blessing.
5. Camilia Teething Relief Gel: I know teething isn't technically a sickness, but it can sure feel like you have a sick baby during bouts of teething, so I decided to include this here. When Logan was first cutting some teeth, I called my pediatrician and she recommended this for his discomfort. It has natural ingredients, and I have found it really helpful for him.
6. A Syringe: These come standard with many children's medication bottles, and are also sold at Target or Walgreen's. I have loved having one on hand for administering various liquids like probiotics,breast milk, and water when Logan was too small to drink from a cup.

2. Diaper Bag Essentials Kit

I'm not the kind of girl who carries everything in my diaper bag. I go out with what I consider essentials, and figure that the rest will figure itself out. This has worked well for us so far, and I like not having to carry around huge heavy bags! These are my must have items (aside from diapers and wipes, or course ;).


1. Acure Baby's Day Out Kit - I found this while roaming the aisles of my local Target, and I have loved it! It is certified Organic, and comes in handy so often. It includes a "fix it" stick- for bumps and scrapes, a bug repellent and sunscreen stick. I love that even if I forget to bring something this kit will usually have me covered. We have all three used sunscreen stick while out on day trips.
2. Dr. Bronner's Organic Lavender Hand Sanitizer - Early on I realized that I really preferred spray hand sanatizers over pump or squeeze ones. I like that I can spray it on a shopping cart or restaurant table, and wipe with a baby wipe to make sure the surface is clean. This one uses Lavender essential oil which has such a refreshing and calming scent.
3. Camilia Teething Relief - I mentioned this above, but I keep a pack in my diaper bag just in case we are spending the night somewhere and I run out, or need it on the go.
4. Babyganics Soothing Protective Ointment - These travel size ointments are a perfect all purpose cream to carry around on the go. Logan doesn't have diaper rashes at this point, but I use this if there is any irritation elsewhere on his skin, 
5.Chapstick - This one is for me, but I keep it with Logan's diaper bag because I never want to be caught with my lips unprotected. I love this scent and smooth application

3. Everyday Baby Wellness Kit

Finally, this is my favorites from my little wellness basket at home. These are great to have on hand for everyday occurrences, plus they are pretty to look at so that's always a plus ;)


1. Babyganics Sunscreen - It's not recommended to use sunscreen on babies younger than 6 months, but I had this on hand before Logan was born, so I wouldn't be caught without it months later. It has worked well for us, and is gentle on his skin. 
2. California Baby Bug Repellent - I picked this brand because it is deet free, and mostly uses essential oils as a natural bug repellent, which I am a big fan of! I use this when we go camping, and during walks at dusk. 
3. Tubby Todd  Baby Freshening Spray - I could not love a baby product line more than I love Tubby Todd (more about their amazing products coming to the blog soon!). I use this Baby Freshening Spray when I think Logan could use a refresher before nap time, or if we don't have bath time that day. It moisturize and leaves baby's skin smelling sweet.
4. Carlson D3 Baby Supplement - I chose to give Logan vitamin D drops as my doctor recommended. This supplement was the most pure one I found, and only takes one drop to get the job done. 
5. Colic Calm - A friend recommended this to me in the new baby days, and said it helped her daughter calm down when she had an upset tummy or excess gas. Logan definitely had major tummy issues, but this product really helped ease his discomfort. I opted for this because it is simethcone free
6. FridaBaby Nail Set - This nail clipper works great and doesn't leave sharp edges on baby's fingers. I especially liked the rounded nail file that helped keep his tiny nails short enough to avoid scratches on the face!
7. Tubby Todd All Over Ointment - Once again, I use the ointment for ever.thing. It is creamy and thick, but spreadable and absorbs easily. I use it for dry spots, irritated patches or any diaper issues that may arise. It also works great for a little bedtime massage.
8. Honest Diaper Wipes - Of course no mom survives without a million and a half baby wipes. These have been my favorite so far, both in ingredient list and functionality. I wanted to try water wipes originally but found several moldy packages so I passed and tried Honest instead. These have worked great! I love that they have a snap close top which makes it easy to take them anywhere.

I'm always looking to find better things for my babe, so what are your favorite products? What do you recommend to other mamas?
XO, B



Post a Comment