SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie | Whole30 / Paleo / Dairy Free Recipe


On March 1st, I started my first round of the popular eating program Whole30. If you aren't familiar with it, it is a month long program of clean eating, designed to reset your eating habits, food mentality and taste. It can help you detect if any food groups are negatively affecting your overall health and gives you practical tools for eating real, whole foods. You can read more about it on their website, but this basically means no: added sugar, grains, legumes, alcohol, dairy, MSG, sulfates, carageenan or treats. Ian and I do eat pretty clean most of the time, but I wanted to sort of cleanse myself and get back into better habits, which I had deviated from due to pregnancy, moving and having a baby. There was an offer to join a group of gals for an online support group on facebook (I highly recommend this if you are considering doing the program.) so I decided to join in!

I am the only one in our household doing the program, so I have tried to be sensitive to Ian and Logan as I meal plan each week. Cooking is one of my creative outlets so this has been a fun sort of challenge for me in the kitchen as well, and I have enjoyed adapting recipes I love to be a bit more "clean". As I was meal planning last week, I was going through my Pinterest , and saw a picture of chicken pot pie. Turns out I was using similar ingredients in other dishes this week, so I decided to try my hand at a dairy / grain free one - plus I knew Ian would love it. To me, chicken pot pie is the ultimate fall/winter comfort food. It is warming, filling and nourishing. My only objection to it is that I am often left feeling heavy from the heavy dairy and flour used in the dish. I love this recipe because it achieves all the best things about a pot pie, and leaves you feeling well afterwards. This does take a bit of prep time, but I made my filling and crust in the early afternoon, then popped it in the oven when we wanted dinner. 


For The Crust:
3/4 C Almond Meal
1/4 C Flaxseed Meal
1/2 C Arrowroot Starch
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 C grated frozen ghee
1 egg
1/4 t salt
2-3 tablespoons ice cold water

For The Filling:
1 Tablespoon ghee
5 medium sized yukon gold potatoes (about the size of your fist)
3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (I like Trader Joes and Thrive Market)
1 medium yellow onion - finely chopped
3 stalks celery - finely chopped 
3 medium sized carrots - finely chopped
2 cloves garlic; minced
2 cups cooked chicken breast or thigh - cut into small cubes
1 cup frozen peas 
1 1/2-2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon paprika
salt
pepper
2 teaspoons fresh thyme; chopped
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary; chopped


Prepare the Crust:
1. About an hour before making your crust measure out 1/4 cup ghee. Shape into a bar (like a stick of butter) and wrap in parchment paper. Place in freezer for an hour.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients for the crust. Mix together with a whisk until no lumps remain.
3. Remove ghee from refrigerator and grate. Add frozen flakes to the bowl along with your egg. Mix until just incorporated. Using a spatula, add in cold water until a nice dough forms. shape dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap; chill in freezer for an hour.
4. Remove from freezer and place dough between two sheets of parchment. Use a rolling pin to roll into a 9 1/2' x 14 1/2" rectangle. Place on a baking sheet and place back in freezer.

Prepare the Filling:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Chop four of your potatoes into 2 inch cubes (leave other potato aside). Place in a stockpot with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are fork tender - takes approximately 6-8 minutes. 
2. When done, drain potatoes and place in blender. Add coconut milk, 1/4 c broth and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat a braiser or large skillet over medium heat. Add butter and onion. Sautee until just translucent - 6 minutes. 
4. Once onion is finished, add in 1 cup broth, celery, carrot, garlic, and remaining potato (cut into 1/2" cubes). Cook until vegetables are somewhat tender; about ten minutes. 
5. Lower heat and stir in chicken, peas, herbs and creamy potato mixture. Cook until just heated through. Add more broth depending on the texture you like - some liquid will be absorbed during the baking process. Add salt and pepper to taste. 
6. Spoon filling into a 9x13 baking dish. Remove crust from freezer and place over the pie filling. (You may need to give it a minute or two to become more pliable.)
7. Bake pie for 45 minutes - 1 hour; until crust is golden brown and firm on top. 
8. Remove from oven an let rest for 15 minutes.

 Enjoy!

XO, B





Post a Comment