SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

DIY | Delicate Handmade Velvet Bows

Hello there and happy Tuesday! We are embarking on week three of having Little Josephine in our arms, and it has just gotten sweeter by the minute. Thus far the transition from 1 to 2 kids has been so much easier than becoming parents for the first time. Maybe it’s because we have a little more confidence in the little things we have to do, or maybe the last year of constant change and craziness prepared us, but either way we are really loving every minute we have with our babies. I’ve had fun doing new “girl mom” things like ordering flower print diapers and picking out the perfect bow for each outfit she wears.

When I learned I was pregnant with her, I started looking around for some cute small shops to get bows from. There are SO many cute shops, but I decided to try to make my own - so that she could have lots of variety without spending a ton of money. I found some tutorials online, but none were for making velvet ribbon bows, which is the kind I like best, so with trial and error I developed my own method!

So far I’ve made about 30 bows for Josie and she has gotten lots of compliments on them. I mean is there ANYTHING cuter than a fresh babe in a bow?! I took some photos of the process and listed directions below, so take a peek if you’re interested in making some for your babe. This would also be a great craft to do with other moms because there are plenty of supplies to go around and it only takes a few minutes.


+ fabric scissors
+ hot glue gun
+ clothespin or alligator clip


I. Cut ribbon into an 18" piece. Lay it out in an n shape with the velvet side down (pictured below).

II. Fold the top of the loop down to be even with the two ends at the bottom. Fold the right side over the left, and then loop behind to make a bow. This took a bit of time for me to perfect, so that the final result had no twists or turns.  
 III. Adjust the bow so that it is even and there is no twists. Pull taught so that the bow is secure and tight. Trim the edges if desired.

IV. Place a dab of hot glue on the back side of the bow's knot and glue to an elastic headband. Place clothespin over the bow and headband in order to secure while drying. The glue should be dry after no more than 10 minutes. Then voila! You have yourself a sweet, tiny bow.


Once I got the hang of tying the bows, I made one out of each ribbon color I had purchased - leaving me with 30 bows! I love the rich color and tones velvet has to offer, and how they can often add color while still being subtle.


Here are some pics of Josephine wearing the bows. I have gotten so many questions about them ever since she was born, and I think its pretty special to be able to say that I made them for her. 





xo, B

Post a Comment