SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, December 3, 2017

A "Just Like Daddy" Bucket & A Gift Guide for Little Boys

I made a list, and checked it twice. Turns out everyone on my list is incredibly nice! I absolutely love giving Christmas gifts. I think about it all year, and jot down ideas as they come, or as things pop up from conversations had with friends and family. Having kids has made me want to be more intentional with what we give - balancing thoughtful and useful items (or experiences!) with keeping the focus of this season on Christ's birth. 
In thinking through parenting Logan and our future children, I was struck by the heavy reality that Ian and I will have a huge hand in shaping how they view this holiday, as well as their expectations for the future. We can steer them into being disappointed if they don't get more and bigger things each year, or (hopefully!) help these little people to cherish the meaning of this season, while still enjoying fun traditions and time with family.

We set a budget of $100 for gifts for each other and Logan, and I wanted to make the very most of it all. Gifts for little ones can be tricky; I don't just want to give something useless for the sake of having another gift, yet want to balance with things that are practical, useful and fun. I came up with an idea for Logan that I am so excited about, and 100% confident he will love. It just so happens he was with Ian and I when we picked out these things, and it was love at first sight. Thankfully we hid them away and I think he will be so thrilled come Christmas morning. 

Like most little boys, Logan loves his daddy, and wants to do things just the way Ian does. For our family, this looks like using lots of tools and doing projects in the yard. Each time we go to see Ian working at the house, Logan begs to use his hammer, or toddles around, firmly grasping a screwdriver pretending to tighten things up. After seeing this so many times, it dawned on me to make Logan his very own "Just Like Dad" bucket, filled with tools and things, so he can help daddy here or there, and enjoy them at his leisure. I also loved this gift because it will encourage time outdoors, and can be adapted across many age groups! 


We picked out most of the items from a local discount hardware store - Harbor Freight, but I have provided links to purchase similar items online. All in all this basket cost about $45 to complete, but you can add more things or leave things out depending on your budget and child's interests. This would be a perfect gift for a nephew, too!



Along with this I picked out several other gifts like a wooden train set and various books! If you're looking for ideas, check out the gift guide I have compiled below. It includes some of our purchases, or things we have loved for him so far!

         

     
What are you getting your little loves for Christmas? I'd love to hear new ideas, so leave a comment below!

xo, B






Post a Comment