SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, July 17, 2017

Nourishing Beauty Products Pt. 2 - Hair & Body Care

Hello again! I hope you are all having a lovely day, and enjoying the sunshine that seems to be ever abundant- at least here in LA. A few weeks ago I posted a round up of my favorite green beauty skincare products, and it was fun to get so many messages from you all, and talk a little bit more in depth. One of my favorite things about having this little blog is being able to connect with so many different women, and share over anything from skincare to screaming babies. I wanted to add a second part to my last post that would encompass beauty options for hair and body care.
I'll start off with the one product I use the most- shampoo! After having Logan, my hair went from being middle range between oily and dry, to super oily after just one day. This was by far my least favorite postpartum symptom. I recently read that you can mix baking soda in your shampoo (make sure your shampoo is ammonia free), but I had thankfully fixed my issue before reading this, although I will definitely be trying it next time around. I have had several shampoos I enjoy using, but I always end up going back to this one..




This shampoo is clarifying without drying hair out (unlike the tea tree Trader Joe's shampoo). I find that it stimulates the circulation in my scalp, while being free of parabens and SLS products. When I use this shampoo in combination with a dry shampoo, I can go 4 days in between washes, which works very well with my schedule as a mom! I have found it at Whole Foods, Sprouts and Marshalls. I also use their volumizing formula which I like as well!

2. Homemade Rejuvenating Hair Mask
Every six moths or so, I like to use this homemade hair mask to kind of "reset" my hair. I find that it balances moisture, adds shine, and tames frizz, while using things you probably have around the house. I have long and thick hair, so you can adjust the portions according to what you need.

Ingredients:
+ 1/2 C coconut oil - room temperature (but not melted)
+ 10-15 drops lavender essential oil
+ 5-7 drops rosemary essential oil
+ 5 drops peppermint essential oil

I mix all the ingredients together  and rub it into all parts of my hair, making sure to rub it in well on my scalp. Then I pull my hair up and let it sit for about 45 minutes to an hour. It is helpful to wear a shower cap or towel because the oil gets melty. 

I have used this brand for years, and it is one of my favorite scents, because it is calming and gender neutral. Neem oil and shea butter nourish the skin, while hemp and vetiver soothe skin, leaving it calm and refreshed. I love this product, and even feel confident using it on Logan's baby skin in a pinch. 

I also love their brand of lotion, which has all the same benefits of the body wash. It is very thick and emollient, which allows the moisture to be locked in all day. I also always use this lotion after being in the sun all day, the neem helps skin heal quickly and has shortened several sunburns over the years.

5. Native Deodorant
Why is a natural deodorant that works so hard to find? Guys, I have tried them all. This is not an exaggeration. If its sold at Sprouts or Whole foods, I have tried it, and probably hated it. This article from Wellness Mama is helpful if your wondering why conventional deodorant isn't a good option. The skin is our largest organ, and what we put on it really does effect our body as a whole, especially in a place like the underarm, where there are many lymph nodes. I did the detox linked above, and it actually made a huge difference - so I highly recommend that if you are wanting to make the switch. I used Primal Pit Paste for a while, and liked it a lot, except for the fact that the coconut oil would end up staining some of my shirts. I saw an ad for Native online, and after seeing the reviews, I ordered the three pack to try out. It is incredible. It actually works better than any deodorant I have ever used, natural or not. It smells amazing, is gentle on skin, doesn't stain clothes, and most importantly, avoids toxic chemicals. I like the unscented and the coconut vanilla versions best. Interestingly the lavendar rose scent didn't work well for me at all, so I will be staying away from that one next time. This is husband approved, and I have had success using it while working out, during pregnancy and postpartum, so in my opinion it has passed all the tests.


What are your favorite natural body and hair products? Share your favorites below!

XO, B

Post a Comment