SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, September 26, 2016

A Biblical Mandate Against the Mondays

MONDAY BLUES

It probably has been a trend since the work week began, but it seems that Monday is getting an increasingly bad rap. With a plethora of shirts or hashtags shouting #friYAY, it has struck me more and more that we live in a culture loudly proclaiming a weekend gospel. Put in your time during the week and cling to the hope of fun Friday night-Sunday night (or realistically for many, Monday morning). When I worked Monday - Friday I did look forward to the weekends, and it felt nice to be able to have days that I could spend solely with friends, family, or a good book. When I started dating my now husband, things changed. He has a very random schedule and weekends off just aren't a thing. It's more like, work Thursday - Sunday and be off Monday - Wednesday, or some random combination of days. Weekends quickly became less meaningful, and his last day of work became my
"Friday" - a time I could enjoy because it meant more of my man! I would often work from home on weekends in order to be able to be off early during the week so we could spend more time together. This shift in schedule has made me more aware of how much hate Monday's get. 

Since having Logan, the Lord has brought Psalm 118:24  to my mind frequently. It states "This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." I was meditating on this verse a few days ago - on a Monday to be exact, after scrolling through many posts of people lamenting the fact that it was indeed, Monday. I thought about my son, and what I wanted to teach him about days of the week. I want him to see each day as a gift from the Lord and to truly be thankful. I had to ask myself - "what is my attitude toward these days of the week?" It was convicting, because according to Scripture, Monday's are something to rejoice in, not grumble about. We are commanded to be much more than neutral in our view on this start to a new work week. 

As I have heard one of the elders at our church say many times - work was not the curse that God gave, work was established before the fall, and it is a gift. The curse was that eating was now tied to work (no work= no food). In lamenting or griping about Monday, what are we saying to God about the gift of work he has provided for us? What are we teaching out children is most important? The weekend? 

WORKING TOWARD A BETTER REST

These thoughts were only confirmed in my mind, after reading this quote from Jonathan Edwards; 

" God has abundantly promised to reward the good works of the saints in another word. Christ has said that if we do but give a cup of cold water only we shall in no wise lose our reward. But how can this be, if it be so that whether they do more good works or fewer, all that have just the same reward? When a person has a good work before him to be done, how can he say with himself to encourage himself to do, "If I do it, I shall be rewarded for it; I shall in no case lose my reward"; if at the same time it be true that he shall have as great a reward, if he lets it alone as if he does it; and he shall have as much future happiness, if he does few good works as many? There can be no such thing as any reward at all  for good works, unless they are rewarded with some additional degree of happiness. If nothing be added, then there is nothing gained. [...] By laying up treasure in heaven is not only meant obtain some inheritance there, but to be adding to it; as is evident by the comparison made between this and what is forbidden, laying up treasure on earth. By which Christ don't mean that we should get nothing in this world, but not do as worldly-minded men do, be striving insatiably to hoard up, and keep adding to our worldly good things; but rather strive to ad to our inheritance in heaven, and heap up treasure there; labor daily to increase our interest there by doing good works, and abounding in them; as appears by [the] Luke 12:33. "Sell that ye have and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens."(Works 19, 616-622)

My dear friend, hope in heaven, and work for your joy there! In doing so your joy here on earth will only be increased and multiplied. Each day is full of opportunities to increase our treasure in heaven, and to bring our Saviour more glory.( For more reading on this, check out Jonathan Edwards on Heaven & Hell ) 

Sadly, this "live-for-the-weekend" mindset will leave anyone sorely disappointed. A life well lived isn't made up of weekend events only, but in daily, faithful service to the task at hand.  In reality, a life worth living probably has many more "boring" Monday's than we would like to admit. May we spend and be spent for others daily, not growing weary of doing good (Galatians 6). Whether it be another 9-5 of a job you have had for 20 years, or spending the day at the beach and catching up on your Netflix queue, let us be a people who embrace the day the Lord has made, rejoice, and be glad in it.

Happy Monday!
XO

Post a Comment