SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, January 8, 2018

Recipe | Homemade Lavender Extract

Lavender. Growing up in the 90's my initial memories of this flower were not the greatest - fake scented candles and overwhelmingly light purple rooms are what came to mind for years. Since then, I have come to love this floral, herbaceous plant. I first was reintroduced to lavender when a friend first introduced me to essential oils over seven years ago. From then, I have enjoyed using lavender in baking, coffees and teas, and it was the first plant I planted when we moved into our home last year. 


When I started looking into how to add lavender flavor in my everyday cooking, I came to a bit of a dead end. I saw a small selection of syrups and flavorings available, but most had lots of preservatives, and I didn't want to go the essential oil route. All this in mind, I decided to make my own lavender extract! I was unsure at first, but it worked out so well, I can't wait for you guys to try it out. 

If you read my post on making vanilla extract, this will be very similar, only easier and less expensive. Lavender does need the same 8 week cure time, so now is the perfect time to start brewing if you want to include lavender in your spring baking. 

/ 2 Tablespoons dried lavender buds (food grade)

/ 4 oz Vodka

/ Mason jar

To Assemble: Pour the dried lavender buds into a clean mason jar. Pour the vodka over the buds. Seal the jar and give it a hearty shake.  Place jar in a dark place, shaking intermittently for eight weeks. That's it! 

You can use this in any number of applications, but some of my suggestions are:

+ to flavor shortbread and cookies
+ ice cream
+ in whipped cream (lavender cream and lemon curd on scones, anyone?)
+ to flavor coffee or tea
+ in warm frothed milk to flavor a latte 
+ in cheesecake. 
or a hundred other yummy things you can think of! 

I've linked my favorite supplies below, and I often get my lavender from Sprouts on online at Whole Foods. Whats your favorite lavender flavored food? Share below, or tag me if you make something!

XO, B

         

        





Post a Comment